Jane Goodall Academy
The Jane Goodall Environmental Sciences Academy is opening its doors in the Fall of 2015. with 100 students in grades 6-12. The goal is to have a maximum of 150 students by the Fall of 2017. The vision of JGESA is to provide students with a diverse, rural landscape where they will be supported in pursuing their passions and grow to address the challenges of protecting our land, water and all of the environment. By working with staff, families, and the large community, students will gain the skills they need to be flexible problem-solvers, effect leaders, and responsible citizens. To accomplish this, JGESA has developed a lease with True Friends/Camp Courage and will be located on their 350 acre wooded site near Maple Lake, MN. They will have access to over 2000 acres in the nearby park areas. JGESA will offer its students five critical elements.
- A personalized learning community
- Hands-on student directed learning & discovery
- Project-based learning opportunities focused on life skills
- Interaction with professionals in the community, field and classroom
- Environmental emphasis integrated throughout the curriculum